There is too much unplanned pregnancies among singles because of pre-marital sex, stories of adultery left and right, movies and tv series that exposes us and our kids to the harsh realities of life and in a way numbs us to what is right. So what do we do?
What I am about to suggest might be extreme and it sounds legalistic but I hope I don’t come across as one. It is not with self righteous pride that I write the things I will suggest but out of the knowledge that I can be easily tempted and I have to rely on the Holy Spirit to help me overcome sexual temptation. It is out of my consciousness of my utmost weakness in sin and great dependence on Christ that I acknowledge that I am as powerless as every man if I don’t hold on to Christ and find my pleasure in Him.
1. Since I know I can succumb to online pornography, my wife and I can check on our personal history. Also we try as much as possible not to surf the net alone at night. We are visible when we are using the internet.
2. TV has changed in a decade. What we feed our mind, makes up our mind. Thammie and I made the decision not to have cable tv at home. Some thought we might not survive but after 6 years we are still alive and well.
1. Don’t eat with the opposite sex alone. Make sure to go out as groups.
2. Don’t drive your female colleague home.
3. Never counsel the opposite sex alone. I make sure that there is a another person when I am talking to a woman in my office.
4. We installed glass doors in our offices for transparency. You will be surprised that most sexual acts are done in the office.
Jesus Himself went to extreme measures to tell us not to take sexual temptation lightly:
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you thateveryone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
The lesson is that we need to get to the heart of the problem. Go to the root cause. That is why I can give you extreme measures but if your heart is not right then you can end up dealing with the external and one day just snap and fall into sin. The most extreme measure is to know that the only way to overcome sin and our desire to have our sex drive fulfilled is to find our satisfaction in Christ. Yes, I know it is hard to believe but it is the only way.